Friday, January 8, 2010

Back in Congo.

I am back in Congo, and loving it.

After an only 25 minute flight from Kigali I arrived around 9am in Kamembe. After receiving angry looks from several customs officials - I had put my passport in the washingmachine and the DRC visa wasn't really very readable anymore - I was able to cross the border.

The first hours were spent on the usual: arranging accomodation, a radio and a simcard with credit (trust me that is more difficult then it sounds). So, for all those people that desperately want to call or text me (hi mom!), my number here is: +243995200724.

Although most expats are still gone, I spent lots of time catching up with people I still knew from the summer. I also met our Voix des Kivus Field Coordinator for over two hours regarding work, I made several appointments for next week when Macartan is in town, and then spent time working behind my laptop; yep, for this blog this the more boring part of my time here. More on that later.

After doing some groceries shopping I just arrived in IRC House 5; the same house as last summer. Ok, so let's see, my first impressions:

  • The holes in the road have grown.
  • Such friendly people here.
  • Salted peanuts, bananas and a coke with real suger is really truly the best lunch there is.
  • The house and office are the same as last time; only with many different faces.
  • I seem to survive with my french.
  • It's mainly warm during the day and for about 2 hours a day it rains. Awesome.
  • And yes, I'm drinking my evening gin tonic again. Regarding this one more thing:

Following its instructions, malaria pills have to be taken together with food. Last summer for two months I think Simon and I never took it with food. On the other hand, we did always take them with alcohol. I just remembered that while taking my malerone with a gin tonic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment