Friday, June 29, 2012

The Old Days.

Was going through old songs by Dutch people, or those that are about the Netherlands (Jacques Brel's Amsterdam, etc.) and came across "Het Dorp" by Wim Sonneveld: Wim Sonneveld was a Dutch cabaret and singer who died in 1974. Together with Toon Hermans and Wim Kan, he is considered to be one of the 'Great Three' of Dutch cabaret. I didn't really know him except for that-guy-my-grandparents-probably-would-laugh-about. In other words, can't be funnny anymore today. Well, how wrong was I. Here is a brief 1965 sketch of him as Frater Venantius. It's fantastic (although unfortunately in Dutch only). One of the jokes: A nun meets a girl on the street who she remembers to be an old student of hers. She asks the girl "What do you do these days?". The girl replies "I am a prostitute". The nun replies "Oh no, my child. What are you saying!?" The girl responds "I am a prostitute". The nun says "Ah, luckily. I thought you said 'protestant'". This was in 1965. Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment