Thursday, July 8, 2010

Peter finally techs up.

So not only will I cross the Rwanda-Congo border today with 3 netbooks, 7 GPS devices, 5 digital cameras, a Kindle and 2 external harddrives, I am particularly happy about the following four things.

  1. Don’t laugh, but I only found out recently that I have internet on my phone. About two weeks ago in Nairobi I was cursing (again) that I had no access to my email. Within 2 minutes a friend of mine got it working on my phone. Nice!
  2. I have installed Gmail Gears. That is, I now have 10,000+ of my emails with attachment on my computer. I can also write my emails offline and then it sends them out when there is internet. Ha!
  3. Knowing that internet is down often in the Congo, I have purchased a USB modem in which I can place a cellphone simcard and use internet. Awesome!
  4. Finally, and this is the coolest, via my phone I can send myself an email and then it will appear as a post on this blog. Knowing that in upcoming months I will be in the field often where there is definitely no internet, this rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment