Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Last days in South Africa (Total kilometers driven: 6,320)

Thursday
We left Amanzitoti early in the morning as we had a long drive ahead towards Uitenhagen. The latter is a small town about 20km from Port Elizabeth (PE); the city where the Dutch would play Brazil the next day. After a beautiful 1,112 kilometers we arrived around 9pm in the bed and breakfast where, because it was full, Roy and I cozily shared a bed. The next day I heard that I am a persistent snorer; sorry Roy.

Friday
Early in the morning after a healthy breakfast of baked eggs with bacon, we left for the Fanfest where – once again – before noon thousands of people were dressed in orange, drunk and singing. We walked (again) in a parade towards the stadium where we magically beat the Brazilians by 2-1. It was so amazing to have experienced this event! After the match, because we don’t know PE well, we asked a group of orange-dressed people where we could find beer and celebrating people. They said “At our place”. Half an hour later we were with lots of people at a party of a group of Dutch-supporting South Africans. Such a nice evening!

Saturday
After way too little sleep and too much beer the day before we were in the car once again: with a 1,070km to Pretoria ahead. Roy and I have lived in Pretoria for more than half a year and consider it home. We stayed at Jaap and Dora’s place; close friends of my grandmother who moved to South Africa about 40 years ago. When I studied in Pretoria they were my surrogate family. Jaap en Dora are so sweet and although we only called them the day before we were welcomed with open arms.

Sunday
Because I am heading from South Africa to the DRC, Pretoria was the last place to buy stuff. A pair of trousers and my belt passed away, and for some children of Congolese friends of mine I always like to take study books and material along, I had to do my favorite activity: shopping. Luckily Roy and I are efficient and in no time we were out of the shopping mall again and had time to spend time with Jaap and Dora; who had cooked a great dinner and had invited more of the family because ‘Peter and Roy were back in South Africa’. It was so nice and talked until late in the evening.

Monday
At 2pm from Johannesburg’s OR Tembo Airport I got on my flight to Nairobi where I am currently writing this post. Tomorrow I meet up with some friends and then at 6 pm I have a plane to Kigali where Raul and Grant (fellow PhDs) have been working for the last few days. Then on the 8th we’ll cross the border together into the Congo; definitely more adventures ahead. Roy took a plane a few hours later to the Netherlands where he will marry Faten in less than 2 weeks. They met each other in South Africa six years ago. I am so happy for them; and hope I ever get as lucky as Roy.

Orange parade to the stadium.

Brazilians clearly afraid for our Robben.

We won from Brazil!

Some Brazilians handed us the Cup. It will be on Roy's bookshelf in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment