Friday, July 30, 2010

It's really there. And it works!

Obtaining cash in the Congo is hard; even in Bukavu which is Congo's fifth biggest city (after Kinshasa, Kisangani, Goma and Lubumbashi). Thus when I heard rumors about an ATM in Bukavu in the weeks leading up to my previous trip to Bukavu I was exited. And indeed, the BIAC bank had a sign outside "cash point", and thus all thrilled I asked the clerk for the ATM... He looked at me as if I was crazy.

About three months ago I again received word that an ATM had been build. After questioning my informant intensely he promised me that he had actually physically seen it. Thus, yet again, I was all exited when I took the plane from Johannesburg to Bukavu last month. Today was the big day: I went again to the BIAC, indeed saw the ATM, took out my card, tried to withdraw money and... it worked.

After taking the picture below and "high-five"-ing the AK-47 carrying security guards, I returned to work a happy man. Incredible. It should not become much more crazy here in Bukavu; next thing you know they are building traffic lights.

Bukavu's (working!) cashpoint.

1 comment:

  1. Good news, reading so many articles about how hard it is to get access to your money when travelling... all good thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete