Saturday, December 5, 2009

Books & All Things Must Fight to Live.

Yesterday morning I arrived at Schiphol airport; first a month in Europe and then finally back to the DR Congo.

In Europe: 1. I'll study French (tomorrow I'll be heading to Montpellier for two weeks), 2. Work on R (I took John Fox's "R and S-Plus Companying to Applied Regression" with me), 3. Work on causal inference (I also took Morgan and Winship's "Counterfactuals and Causal Inference" with me), 4. Prepare for the Congo.

For in the DRC I packed quite a few books (I know I should have bought a Kindle):
  • Adam Hochchild's "King Leopold's Ghost"
  • Ben Okri's "Famished Road"
  • Samual Popkin's "Rational Peasant"
  • Frederick Forsyth's "Dogs of War"
  • Adam Roberts' "The Wonga Coup"
  • Robert Klitgaard's "Tropical Gangsters"
  • Nicholas Shaxson' "Poisoned Wells"
  • Bryan Mealer's "All Things Must Fight to Live"
  • Dambisa Moyo's "Dead Aid"

I finished Bryan Mealer's book already in the airplane from New York. Bryan Mealer worked and travelled for three years in the Congo and wrote about his experiences. A very impressive piece of work! I do hope the other books are not that good, otherwise I am out of books before I arrive in the DRC. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment